A delicious, creamy allergen-free, and gluten-free roasted red pepper sauce that takes minimal effort to make.
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp oil
1 jar roasted red bell peppers, about 2.5 large roasted peppers
3 cloves minced garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
2.5 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp raw sugar or maple/agave syrup
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
12 oz gluten-free, vegan pasta
2 – 3 tbsp vegan ricotta cheese (optional)
Make the Sauce:
1. Heat pan on low-medium heat. Add the pumpkins and toast until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove the seeds and set them aside to use later.
2. Turn the heat to medium temperature, add the oil. Once the oil is heated up, add the garlic and fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the onion, and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute until translucent, 5-6 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, drain the jar of peppers and rinse them thoroughly under running water.
5. Once the onions are cooked, add the roasted red peppers and saute for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set the sauteed vegetables aside to cool down.
6. Once cool, add the seeds and sauteed vegetables to a food processor or blender and blend until you have a smooth sauce. Adjust salt at this point, adding more as needed.
7. If using, add the chili flakes to your sauce and blend again. (Set some non-spicy sauce as needed first).
Make the Pasta:
8. While your vegetables cook, bring a large pot of water to boil. Then add your pasta and cook al-dente per package instructions. (Salt the water based on the brand of gluten-free/vegan pasta you’re using).
9. Once cooked, drain the pasta, reserving a 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
10. Add the blended sauce to your drained pasta. Stir to combine everything. Add the reserved cooking liquid if needed, adjust salt and seasoning to your taste.
11. Serve warm on its own or topped with some vegan ricotta.